Winners of the Empire BlueCross Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge Announced
15 Upstate New York Schools Win a Live Dance Party
Hosted by Radio Disney AM 1460 Courtesy of Empire BlueCross
January 16, 2013
Empire BlueCross BlueShield
@Empirebcbs on Twitter
Radio Disney Media Relations,
January 16th, 2013 - Albany, NY – Winners of the Empire BlueCross Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge have been announced. An effort between Empire and Radio Disney AM 1460, Get Active, Get Fit motivates kids and families to achieve fitness together by engaging in fun activities. In order to successfully complete the challenge, students had to be active for a minimum of 40 of the 55 days during the event, which ran from Oct. 1, 2012 through Nov. 24, 2012.
The 15 schools with the highest percentage of participation in the program have a live dance party at their school hosted by Radio Disney AM 1460. Five schools that completed the challenge were awarded new gym equipment packages valued at $500 through a random drawing.
“The Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge, which we are very pleased to sponsor, motivates kids and families to achieve fitness together by engaging in fun activities,” said Ethel Graber, VP and GM, Empire BlueCross. “In 2012, the third year of this partnership, 20,626 children from 58 elementary schools in upstate New York registered for the program.”
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 17 percent (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2 -19 years are obese. Since 1980, obesity prevalence among children and adolescents has nearly tripled.
Nearly 384,000 students nationwide signed up to participate in this year’s Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge in Colorado, Georgia, Kentucky, New Hampshire, Ohio, Upstate New York, Virginia and Wisconsin.
The complete list of winners is:
1 .Holy Name School, AuSable Forks
2. W.B. Tecler Arts in Education Magnet School, Amsterdam
3. Harrison Ave. Elementary, South Glens Falls
4. North Warren Central School, Chestertown
5. Hadley-Luzerne Elementary, Lake Luzerne
6. St. Bernard’s, Saranac Lake
7. Holy Family School, Malone
8. Henry Johnson Charter School, Albany
9. St. Johnsville Central School, St. Johnsville
10. St. Regis Mohawk School, Hogansburg
11. Our Saviours Lutheran School, Albany
12. St. Ambrose Catholic School, Latham
13. Mother Teresa Academy, Clifton Park
14. Anna S. Kuhl Elementary, Port Jervis
15. New Scotland Elementary, Albany